Thursday, April 29, 2010

An Easter spent in Haiti

The following is an update from Jay Tew as told to a member of the Hanger team over the phone:

I’m used to spending Easter with my family so this Easter was really different for me. We were in Port-au-Prince transferring patients to and from the Hanger clinic and grabbed lunch before heading back to Deschapelles. While we were eating, my phone buzzed and it was pictures of my daughters in their Easter dresses, my wife, and all of my family. At that point I realized I’ve never had an Easter dinner with anyone but my family. Then I looked around the table at all of the people I’ve been working with in Haiti and realized the people in Haiti are a part of my family now. But seeing my family filled my heart up and recharged my battery and got me going. It was definitely a heartfelt day.