Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Rainstorms in Haiti

I both love and hate rainstorms here in Haiti.

Let me preface this by saying that I have always liked rainstorms when experienced from the comfort of my home. Our whole family would count the beats between a big lightening bolt and the thunderclap that followed. Then, we'd practice dividing by 6 to figure out how far away the lightening was. It always seemed like God's fireworks to me; the way a bolt streaks across a previously black sky is just awesome to watch.

Here in Haiti thunderstorms do not disappoint. They will come up fast and dump copious amounts of rain in a short span of time. I love how the air cools after a storm; a pleasant relief. I've been cold a few times here (which is far fewer than spaghetti and hot dog meals - Tuesday lunch was #10). Each time I've been cold involved rain or once having wet hair and then going into a rare air-conditioned room.

The downsides to rain are muddy, rutty streets and the addition of humidity in the air. After a big storm the night before, the next day can be extra hot and sticky. Our patients suffer the worst of it. It takes so much extra energy to walk with a prosthesis and they will sometimes be drenched with sweat after physical therapy. But, this doesn't dissuade them or dampen their spirits.