Monday, August 30, 2010

Mwen p'ap janm bliye nou - I will never forget you

I went to the beach for my last day here in Haiti. As I walked in the sand along the water’s edge, I turned around to see my footsteps of where I'd been.

Today's been full of moments like that; reflecting on what I've been a part of these last three and a half months. What a pleasure it has been to work with all the talented and caring practitioners that have rotated through since I've been here as well as working with all those in the U.S. who keep this going smoothly. The staff here is fantastic as well and their skills are perfected daily. The scope of those skills has grown in my short time here as well. I will miss them.

On Friday night we had a goodbye party and we all got to go to a little restaurant in Verrettes, a nearby town. The little restaurant is named #1 and it consists of one room with three tables that were pushed together, a hodgepodge of options for chairs, and dim lighting augmented by some candles we brought. The current rotation, all our Haitian staff, our house staff, and some friends from the hospital all joined in the festivities. There was Kompa music, some dancing, a choice of chicken or goat for dinner, and some touching speeches from people. Many of our Haitian staff reflected on the tragedy of Jan. 12th followed by heartfelt expressions of gratitude at what the Hanger Clinic has meant in their lives as well as their countrymen. How humbling it is to have a part in all of this! I am so thankful for my time here.

Looking back at the footsteps I see the waves gradually lap up on shore washing them away bit by bit. I know with time, my memories of Haiti will not be as prominent in my mind as they are now. But, I will not forget this season of life. I do hope that my impact in the clinic would be absorbed as the Haitian staff moves closer and closer to running the clinic independently. And, what's left in its place is the beauty of a top-notch prosthetics facility in the heart of Haiti. To all who have made this possible by your selfless efforts, contributions, and hard work:

Thank you.

Mwen p'ap janm bliye nou - I will never forget you