Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reflections – one-year anniversary of the devastating earthquake that forever changed Haiti

Today was everything it should have been. We met with our Haitian staff yesterday and asked them what they wanted to do. Jill (the head of physical therapy at the Hanger Clinic) and I didn't believe on a day such as this we should decide what was appropriate. The Haitian staff didn't want a party since there is nothing to celebrate. Instead, they wanted a happy day to highlight the good that has come over the past year – the spirit of the Haitian people to over come adversity and push on for a better life.

Our day started with music played by patients and local artists. I spoke of the beginnings of the Hanger Ivan R. Sabel Foundation, getting to Haiti, and my personal feeling for the people of Haiti. I talked about how I have never known the true meaning of determination, compassion, humility and selflessness until now in life. I also spoke to the road of the Hanger Ivan R. Sabel Foundation towards a Haitian-run Clinic.

Our technicians spoke of their love for their people and Hanger for giving them the opportunity to help the people of Haiti. They never would have dreamed in their life they would have such an honor.

Patients including a bilateral above-the-knee mother and a young bilateral girl spoke of their triumph to regain their lives and an above-the-knee male patient expressed his appreciation. A bilateral man also ran out of the grounds and back to show his ability with his new prostheses.

The art school that is located in our backyard performed an act about the quake and cholera outbreak.

We finished by hosting a reception at Kay (house) Hanger.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette joined us for the special day as well as another photo journalist. WBRZ-TV, a television station from my hometown of Baton Rouge conducted a lengthy phone interview with me shortly after the activities ended. They were very pleased to hear of the Hanger Ivan R. Sabel Foundation’s efforts. I thanked them for staying with Haiti because so many have forgot but the Haitians still need our prayers and aid.

If you’d like, you can check out the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article here and the WBRZ-TV news story here. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette also posted some great photos of the one-year anniversary ceremony which you can see here.

Today was an emotional roller coaster and I am grateful I was here to ride it. I couldn't imagine another place on Earth I would rather be right now.