Saturday, March 12, 2011

Arriving in Haiti for my three-month term as lead practitioner at the Hanger Clinic

Last year Hanger practice manager Brandon Khoury, CPO, LPO from Quincy, Illinois volunteered at the Hanger Clinic in Haiti for two weeks, and is currently serving a three-month term a as lead prosthetist at the Clinic.

My first week back in Haiti has come and gone. As I look back, the thing that sticks out the most in my memory is how easy it was to come back. There was an overwhelming feeling of comfort as we pulled up to Kay Hanger. Similar to the feeling you get when you return home after a long, tiring, road trip. There are few places in my life that give me that feeling, but this is definitely one. As easy as it was to come back, it was actually not that easy for me to get here. Let’s just say that I have the honor of being the first and only Hanger practitioner to get bumped from a flight heading towards Haiti; but in the end, I made it to Port-Au-Prince and began the long car ride to Deschapelles. That night, there was a going away party by the pool for the departing clinicians. It was nice to see my friends Joel, Cira, Tcho, and Alex again. Everyone here says “hi” to Mark, Jeff, Paul, and Vern. Thank you all for your time and help here. Oh, and Tcho says Pi….. never mind…. inside joke.