Sunday, March 20, 2011

Wrapping up week 2

Saturday brought an end to Michael and Holly’s two weeks here in Haiti. We usually rotate practitioners in and out on Sunday, but this particular Sunday was the Haitian presidential election. I learned earlier in the week that travel was not permitted between geographical departments, so the folks back home adjusted the travel arrangements for both the incoming and outgoing groups, a task that was further complicated by spring break in Miami. But, after all was said and done, it was another smooth transition from one group to another, and once again, a two-and-a-half hour trip back home to Deschapelles from Port-au-Prince. Luckily, I spent a good portion of the last three years traveling two hours to see my wife on the weekends. That’s a long story which finally ended on March 1st of this year. At this point I have to say “sorry” to my wife because three days after we were reunited; I left her again to come here. That fact was difficult to bear, but I know she will be here to visit soon.