Monday, August 20, 2012

Reflections from Jay Tew - 1

Jay Tew recently returned to Haiti for a fourth rotation as lead clinician at Klinik Hanger. The next several blog posts are reflections from Jay about his most recent trip.


May 26, 2012

Happy Birthday to me! I left New Orleans to travel to Miami, and then I’ll continue to Port-au-Prince the next morning. We have a layover in Miami as we always do. There, we typically meet our teammates, organize supplies and prepare to hit the ground, ready for our mission.

There are usually three to four of us that come in together, but this tour is much different for me. We have moved to our next phase of relief at Klinik Hanger. We no longer need teams of three to four now that the Hanger Clinic has evolved to a sustainable prosthetic, and now, orthotic clinic as well. I am not concerned going in alone since this is my fourth tour. My thoughts are filled with anticipation of seeing the progress of the clinic and all of my friends. The only way I can describe it is like having a child and having to leave them behind. You know you have to leave but will return and the excitement is overwhelming as you arrive back. Clinically my thoughts are to help further education, assess needs and assist.

On a lighter note, I decided to take myself out for my birthday. My plane arrived earlier than usual so I went to South Beach for a walk and dinner. The best part was when I grabbed a cab back to the airport hotel my cab driver was an older gentleman whose name was Joseph Jean St. Pierre. I recognized this name so I said “koman yea” (how are you). He looked back in surprise with an intrigued look. He says “pa pe mal” (not so bad). “Mwen rele Jay”, I say. He says “mwen rele Jean; Ha Ha ou pale creole?” We started speaking to each other about how I can speak Creole. Jean was very excited learning about our efforts in Haiti. I was able to bring him back home even if it was for a very short time. When we arrived at the airport hotel he wished me well and said the ride was on him, “Mesi zanmi mwen” (thank you my friend).