Saturday, June 5, 2010

Momentous milestones & pink polka dot rain boots

For those of you who are following the blog: tonight was #4. If you don't know what that means, well, you'll have to do some reading :) My first solo week as lead practitioner went quite well and included such momentous milestones as sending my first text message in Creole, having an important business conversation as a goat ate nearby, and my first experience adjusting a socket so someone could adequately squat as low as some Haitians are able to when performing daily tasks here.

The week ended today with a wonderful display of teamwork for the good of a patient. Now, normally, I'll admit, I wouldn't be the happiest camper if I was still at the office at 10pm working on a Friday night. But, tonight there was nowhere else I would rather be. Five of us chipped in to get the absolute best possible result for a patient whose life will be greatly impacted. Smiles and jokes abounded, Haitian music played on the radio in the lab, and we all worked on portions of the project together.

I have always been proud of my profession, but tonight I was part of a team that changed a man's world. We're so fortunate to get to do what we do.

Another neat event this week for me personally was the arrival of a care package from home. A woman who works at HAS had to travel back to the U.S. for a funeral and offered to bring something back for anyone who needed it, so my family was able to ship her the care package and she brought it back to Haiti. Such a treat! The care package included some cute pink polka dot rain boots (which already came in handy now that we're at the start of rainy season), other miscellaneous goodies, but three letters/cards were the true treasures. One from each of my parents and one from my grandma! On the last rotation a practitioner from Raleigh mailed letters to my grandma for me and I got one from her this week in the care package. Through the kindness of others and this blog I still get to correspond with her. It's definitely one of the myriad of things I am grateful for right now.