Friday, June 11, 2010

A one-of-a-kind art project for a one-of-a-kind clinic

It's rainy season here and we've had rain every evening so far. My rain boots are coming in quite handy. All the roofs here are corrugated metal. In the lab it amplifies the sound and makes the storms seem worse than the really are. In the house, the rain always sounds so peaceful. I love thunderstorms. The lightening and thunder are like God's fireworks.

Yesterday and today after work and my Creole lessons, I got to help paint the clinic a bit. There is an awesome mural project going on in our clinic right now. Local artists are funded through a grant to paint murals. Each of the patient rooms has its own theme. The pink room has birds and flowers, the blue one has some sea creatures on one side and a beautiful mountain scene on the other, the yellow has market/street scenes complete with an amputee wearing prostheses, the green room has jungle-type animals, and the purple has sports scenes-also with amputees. Here are some photos:






The new patient area and returning patient areas have welcome signs with amputees pictured.




On one bottom corner of the welcome area, one amputee has a yellow shirt and blue shorts, thanks to my mastery of kindergarten where I learned to paint within the lines. Here's my contribution: The murals just add to this place and continue to reinforce my view that there is no other prosthetics facility like this anywhere in the world. Klinik Hanger in Dechapelles, Haiti is one-of-a-kind.