Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A new week

Tonight was #6.

Today was the beginning of another week and the first day for the new rotation of practitioners. They're already doing wonderfully! We even fit one bilateral above-knee amputee patient today with foreshortened prostheses. Foreshortened prostheses are shorter, starter legs that don't have knee joints in them yet so the patient can get their strength and balance before progressing on to higher prostheses with knee joints. The rooster has already welcomed the new guys too.

In Creole lessons this evening I learned a funny (to me at least) phrase. It's "tet poul" which translates to mean literally "chicken head". It refers to the feelings of being lightheaded, tipsy, dizzy, or drunk. I'll never look at someone stumbling out of a bar the same way again.

Oh, and Esther, I know you're reading this so Happy Birthday my friend :)