Friday, June 25, 2010

Tears of joy

For a girl, I've always considered myself tough. I was a little tomboy growing up. I was the only girl on my roller hockey team, loved camping, I was always running around outside, and I even worked on a 1960 Morris Minor with my dad as a teen. But, I found tears in my eyes today when I saw this: Now, it may not seem like much to you but this is a patient standing who has not walked since she was 5-years-old! She is 21-years-old now and came into the Hanger Clinic walking with flip-flops on her knees.

Here we are today before wearing her prostheses:Jay saw her previously and she underwent surgery to release tightened tendons from years of being on her knees. 16 years – that's how long this vibrant young woman waited to walk. Her proud smile was a glorious addition to yet another amazing day in Haiti.

Oh, and for the record, I still love to camp, hike, etc., but I sure enjoy getting dolled up and being girly now too. Girls are allowed to cry too, right? And tears of joy are just one more benefit of getting to be here.

P.S. Friday night = #7, Tuesday morning for breakfast = #8