Sunday, April 10, 2011

8-year-old Wanley

Week five brought a new group of practitioners, Dave and Ken, and a new special patient for me. This particular one was cast during my first group of practitioners. Her name is Wanley.

She was seen by Mike about 3 weeks ago. I remembered how shy she was, she wouldn’t even look at me when I said "hi". She just tucked her head or looked the other way. I learned that she was 8-years-old, but she had the outward appearance of a four or five-year-old.

Wanley’s shyness would soon be replaced by a giant smile and a young girl that liked to kick the soccer ball around. It was amazing to watch how fast she learned to walk and run with her prosthesis. But, it was even more amazing to watch her open up and become a fun loving little girl. By the end of her time with us it was hard for me to imagine that this girl, who would barely let go of my hand, would not even look at me a few weeks ago. I hope I get to see her again before I go.