Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Brahms returns!

Monday the 11th, was the day I had been waiting for, for a few weeks. Brahms came in! I have to admit that I was a bit nervous. I put a lot of pressure on myself and felt like there was a lot riding on this case since Brahms had never walked before the earthquake, and will never walk without the use of a prosthesis in his entire life. It is a concept that I have never experienced before and I found it difficult to express my emotions when I began his fitting. I can only say now, that it was one of the most “awe”some experiences of my life.I started the fitting with a very thin sheath, a minimal fabric barrier between his skin and the foam lining. It was loose, and I almost forgot what to do next. It was like I panicked and forgot all my training. When I snapped out of it, I went over to our supply shelf and picked out a couple of socks of various thicknesses. Using socks is a basic part of maintaining the fit of a prosthetic socket. I think that I put so much pressure on myself to make everything perfect, that I momentarily forgot the basics. When I fit the thinner of the two socks, I found that the socket fit well. What a relief!

Now it was time for Brahms to stand. I rolled up his suspension sleeve and his mom stood over him for support. I don’t know if he didn’t know what to do next, or if he just didn’t like everyone staring at him, but he didn’t move an inch. Then, one of the physical therapist had the idea to get out the soccer ball. And in an instant, Brahms took his first steps ever. He held on to mom’s hand, but when the ball got just a little too far for him to reach, he let go and took two steps all on his own and grabbed the ball. It was absolutely amazing to watch, and the smile on his mom’s face was worth every second of the angst I put myself through. She told me earlier that she just wanted her son to grow up and have a “normal” life, but she didn’t think it would be possible after his amputation. Today, we showed her that he will be able to do whatever he wants, he just has to want it enough. Sunday, that soccer ball would have been out of reach. Monday, we watched in awe as Brahms took his first steps of many, to reach his goal.