Monday, April 18, 2011

Recap of the remainder of the week

Thursday and Friday were spent working on the models from Wednesday’s marathon casting session. It was an excellent opportunity to have our technicians gain more experience with the modification process. I asked Dave and Ken to step back as much as possible and oversee the techs while they modify, answer any questions, and show them the various methods we use to prepare the cast for socket fabrication. Everyone did well, but we have a few left over for next week. It will be nice to let the new group of practitioners get their hands dirty on the first day!

Sunday the 17th marked my halfway point for my rotation. I can’t believe it has already been a month and a half. It was also the day that my wife, Michele, flew in for a two week visit. Our first 6 hours together were spent at the Visa Lodge as we waited for another HAS member to arrive at the airport. It was a long wait, but having her there made it worth every second. Along with my wife, I picked up our two latest Hanger volunteers, Tim and Mark. This was Tim’s first trip to Haiti, but Mark had been here for two weeks nearly a year ago. I knew this would be a good group, because Mark was a veteran and Tim exuded enthusiasm. The 2.5 hour ride home was rough for him though. Our transport unit was packed with luggage, leaving minimal foot space. Tim is about 6’5” tall, so it did a number on his feet and knees.