Sunday, May 30, 2010

An exciting adventure with a grand purpose

On the way to Cange today I sat on the passenger side with the window open. There is a section with a paved road and as we drove along I felt a pang of remembrance of my childhood.

I am blessed to have a wonderful father who was a teacher from the time I was in late elementary school on. So, that allowed for two solid summers of piling into our old, big, black suburban with a tent and supplies in the back, headed off to see America. I got to see many of our nation’s national parks, state parks and a large portion of Canada as well. We camped almost every night with an occasional motel stay to do laundry and freshen up. One time I got to go swimming at a hotel and then we went up into the Grand Tetons and it snowed! So, we have a photo somewhere of me still in a swimsuit and jeans with snow around me.

We did a ton of driving on these trips. Many hours spent looking out the passenger side with the window rolled down and wind on my face.

Now, the scenery is different, the people I'm with are different, and I am different. But I am still on an exciting adventure – this time with a grander purpose.

A lot of things are on my plate now that Jay's leaving. But, for a small section of time today, I had the opportunity to just look out the window, let the wind kiss my face, and savor this time I have here in Haiti.